The Justice Arts Coalition (JAC), a grassroots nonprofit that serves as a unifying body for people engaged in artmaking in and around carceral institutions across the US, is seeking a full-time Co-Director. The individual hired to fill this position will join the Founding Director as an equal partner — an expression of JAC’s deep commitment to cultivating a collaborative, non-hierarchical staffing structure. Together, the Co-Directors will work on planning, coordinating, and implementing JAC’s mission in a manner that upholds organizational values of equity, inclusion, and collective care. For more information and to apply, please see the full job description here.
JAC Internships for Winter/Spring, 2022
The Justice Arts Coalition (JAC) is seeking local (DC area) Interns to assist in all areas of operations, including website maintenance and development, email, social media, and fundraising, as well as in organizing, advertising, and facilitating events. Winter/Spring interns are asked to participate in a few training sessions in December, begin working in January, and commit through the end of May. Applications will be accepted starting October 1, 2021.
These are part or full time internships requiring a commitment of either 20 or 40 hours per week and a relatively flexible schedule to accommodate evening meetings and events. Part time interns will receive a stipend of $1000 for the term, and full time interns will receive $2000.
The ideal candidates will have a deep commitment to JAC’s mission, vision, and values, and should be organized, with strong attention to detail, possess excellent computer skills (including competency using WordPress, Zoom, Google Drive, ActionNetwork, and all social media platforms) and be able to work independently and complete projects quickly without sacrificing quality and accuracy.
We have a number of positions candidates can choose from based on their interests and skills:
- Maintaining and updating the Justice Arts Coalition website
- Maintaining and beautifying our online galleries and artist portfolios
- Maintaining our online artwork database
- Messaging and relationship-building via the JAC social media accounts, email account, and website
- Responding to email inquiries that come through the website
- Developing monthly e-newsletters and blog posts
- Responding to letters from artists in prison to provide them with information about JAC
- Providing guidance to the volunteers who assist us in corresponding with artists in prison
- Assisting with exhibitions and planning/facilitating ArtLinks events
- Managing JAC’s pARTner project
- Supporting partner organizations’ art initiatives
- Assisting in the production of a print newsletter to send to incarcerated artists in JAC’s network
- Planning, promoting, and hosting online workshops
- Collaborating with ArtConnects team to organize exhibitions and other special events
- Participating in and assisting with the planning and facilitation of weekly network gatherings and task force meetings
- Assisting with online fundraising campaigns and grant writing
- Supporting the efforts of the Board of Directors Fundraising Committee, attending committee meetings and recording minutes
- Write copy for letters to donors and potential funders
- Update donor management system and fundraising documents in Google Drive
- Conduct online research and prepare reports for internal use
- Assist with social media and promotion related to fundraising
- Help draft funding proposals
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected group. Individuals who have been directly impacted by the carceral system are encouraged to apply.
To apply for an internship with JAC, please send your resume, a cover letter clearly describing your skills as they relate to your preferred role and the reasons for your interest in this position, and two professional or academic references to email@example.com. Please note the position that most interests you in the subject line of your email and include the number of hours you are available to work (20 or 40 per week).